I found the cause of evil. The error message (see original post) refers to /usr/local/include/unistd.h. I found it peculiar that the build would use headers that are in /usr/local/...

Looking further, I found that there are more copies of unistd.h around, which all reside under /usr/include, one of which directly. I also found the copy in /usr/local/include to be as of 1998, whilst the other copies were much newer.

After having removed /usr/local/include/unistd.h , the build went smoothly.

My problem has been resolved. Thanks for your direction.

I still wonder though why openssl managed to pick a copy under /usr/local/include while another one is available in /usr/include. Could this be an issue regarding the configuration of my Linux system, or is this an issue with the build configuration?

Erik Leunissen