Why not create a symlink from /usr/local/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl instead? You
can install openssl in /usr/bin, however that would break several other
programs in Red Hat 9,  for example the openssh package so this isn't advisable.

This is detailed in the FAQ at http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#BUILD8/.
I really should update this section so that it never goes out of date!

To the best of my knowledge the openssl that comes with Red Hat 9 is complete
apart from not having new features and not using the patented MDC-2, IDEA and
and RC5 algorithms.

--
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNE, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the Blind,

On April 24th 2006 I'll be running in the London Marathon. Then on July 10th
2006 I'll be riding in the Etape du Tour from Gap to Alpe D'Huez, a distance of
188km. Finally on October 1st 2006 I'll be running in the Great North Run. I
hope to raise £2000 for RNIB through all these events. You can sponsor me
online at http://justgiving.com/rnibetape.

--
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.