Dear Pjothi,

Making an application TLS aware/TLS enabled is not
much trouble once you have access to the source code.
You have to set up the SSL/TLS server with proper
X.509 certificate and corresponding private key,
specify which protocol(in your case TLS v1) you want
to use and then call SSL_accept() at the server side.

In the client side you would have to call an
SSL_connect() which would take care of the SSL/TLS
handshake.

After that all you have to do is replace all
send/write with SSL_write() and all read/recv with
SSL_read().

There are a few examples for you to get started. For
generating X.509 certificates you can use the openssl
command line tool or get a readymade keypair.

Here are links that will help you in this endeavor.

http://www.rtfm.com/sslbook/examples/c-examples.tar.gz
http://www.opensslbook.com/NSwO-1.3.tar.gz

I have no idea about DTLS. This website seems to give
some info.

http://crypto.stanford.edu/~nagendra/projects/dtls/dtls.html

Once you get familiarised with TLS DTLS should not be
much different I guess.

All the best!

regards,
Girish