Out of pure curiosity -

I have recently been told that all existing/used protocols had been designed without taking into account the eventual need to adapt to new hash lengths. How true is that ? It seems to be a topic of concern for some people since all commonly used hashes have been broken last year. I'm wondering if TLS really falls into that category of "all existing/used protocols"...

Jason Resch wrote:

A new standard is currently under development (Do a search on: FIPS 186-3) which specifies the use of longer length hashes, including SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512 as a hash function, therefore q would be of size 224, 256, 384, and 512 bits respectively. The signature sizes would be double the size of q for each case.

To have a signature length of 192 bits would require q be 192/2 or 96 bits long. This is considerably smaller than the length of even MD5 hashes, and therefore would not provide a great deal of security.

Jason

Alain Damiral,

I hope this message makes me look like a very intelligent person

Université Catholique de Louvain - student
alain.damiral'at'student.info.ucl.ac.be