Bob Mearns wrote:
DSA, with its 320-bit sigs, is out for this application.  I've played
with RSA a bit, but I run into problems with the digest being too
long when using RSA keys shorter than 384 bits.  I thought I'd read
that the RSA signature should be the same length as the number of bits
in the key, and I don't understand how digest length (at 128 or 160 bits
far shorter than the key) plays into this.

you need to add the bytes for the pkcs1 padding + the bytes for
the digestInfo structure

Cheers,
Nils