-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Olaf Gellert
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:34 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: Choice of CAs in SSL/TLS handshake

Samy Thiyagarajan wrote:

> Hi,
> May be changing the verification of the depth level solve this issue. (
> I mean  check the chain only upto User CA 1 and not upto the Root CA )
> In this case it should not report about missing valid root.
>
> Im not sure. this is just an idea.

Good idea. But unfortunately it does not work out. I removed the
root-certificate from the SSLCACertificateFile. The Server now only
allows the user CA 1 (otherwise it still offers the root CA as
valid CA). And I shortened the verifyDepth to one. But the server
denies access saying:

[Tue Mar 07 15:56:34 2006] [error] Certificate Verification: Error (20):
unable
to get local issuer certificate

Seems that "verifyDepth" still requires a self-signed root
certificate (so the chain has to reach the toplevel in the
given number of steps).

Hm... Any other proposals? :-)

Cheers, Olaf

--
Dipl.Inform. Olaf Gellert                  PRESECURE (R)
Senior Researcher,                       Consulting GmbH

                        A daily view on Internet Attacks
                        https://www.ecsirt.net/sensornet