Steve is usually around, but I'm not sure he has the time to look into
all the complex questions.  Unfortunately, I don't know the guts nor
future development well enough to be able to answer your question.

If you would like to request the ability to get that information in a
stable, supported manner, the best place to ask is openssl-devel
and/or open a feature request.

-Kyle H