I would probably consider the publishing of the openssl version on the web
server announcment message as a security issue.

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Marek Marcola
Sent: Thu 8/10/2006 2:45 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: CHecking the version of OpenSSL

Hello,
> Does anyone know how to externally check what version of OpenSSL is
> running a server?  I mean without connecting to the server via the
> shell but perhaps by a browser and checking the headers?
If we are talking about HTTP servers then sometimes this
information MAY be available in Server: tag.
For example:

$ telnet www.itrc.hp.com 80
Trying...
Connected to itrc.hp.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:41:02 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7e   <-- HERE
Connection: close

Connection closed by foreign host.

But ... this may be not available or may be not true if remote server
administrator set value of this tag manually with some
arbitrary string.

Best regards,
--
Marek Marcola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>