-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of David Irvine
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 5:27 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: General Questions

Hi

This may be a double post if it is I apologise (I think I may have
posted this before I was authorised by majordomo).

I have started using encryption and thought I would try this out. My
question(s) are as follows - please be gentle

1: How is the IV handled in (AES) encryption - I can see supplying an
initial
vector is good but it also appears this should change with every
encryption (if you like). So does a user have to know this + key ?

2: Is it possible to alter a key size say I am using SHA256 and want to
output a SHA256 hash of a users password to use as a key ? Also can I pass
something
to openssl to get a hex digest ?

3: If a cracker can only retrieve 1 part of an encrypted file that has
been deliberately split up - would having this 'part file' help or
hinder the task of decrypting the contents of that file.

4: Is there a way that when attempting to decrypt a file you cannot know
if you have been successful, i.e. you don't know the contents and try a
key - you get an output from the attempt but it is not obvious if that
output is correct (i.e file encrypted multiple times) or do all the
encryption algorithms give a pass or fail or empty output.  (i.e I tell
you my pass-phrase is X and you use this to get output Y but you don't
know what output Y is [could be further encryption], can you tell just
be running the decryption algorithm that the key was a valid key?)

I know this is a bit much for a first question but I am researching a
lot and it is fairly new (but hopefully I am a quick learner).

David

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the
property of Persistent Systems Pvt. Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or
use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems
Pvt. Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.