In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:47:12 +0200, Richard
Koenning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

Richard.Koenning> Ryan Shon wrote:
Richard.Koenning>
Richard.Koenning> > My boss hopes to sell this OpenSSL variant as a
Richard.Koenning> > product.  Because of this, he would not want
Richard.Koenning> > customers who buy this product to be free to
Richard.Koenning> > redistribute it on their own.  If we were only to
Richard.Koenning> > modify existing OpenSSL, then I assume our entire
Richard.Koenning> > product would be subject to free redistribution by
Richard.Koenning> > customers under the license.  Is this correct?
Richard.Koenning>
Richard.Koenning> My first answer would have been plain "no", but then
Richard.Koenning> i read the last sentences at
Richard.Koenning> http://www.openssl.org/source/license.html. I think
Richard.Koenning> (IANAL) that the answer depends on whether your
Richard.Koenning> product is regarded a derivative of OpenSSL.

For all intents and purposes, yes, it would, at least if the
modification is distributed in a package that otherwise looks like a
full OpenSSL distribution.  IANAL either, but I think I've read enough
to be able to make that statement with certainty.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

Richard Levitte                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis