-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Randy Turner
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:40 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Command-line file encryption

Using the following command...

openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -salt -in <plain text file> -out <encrypted
file>

I can create an AES-encrypted file.

Subsequently I can use the -d option to decrypt the same file if I use
the same key (when prompted) that I used to encrypt the file.

I think the same initialization vector (IV) has to be used to decrypt
the file as well. Is the decryption code mentioned above able to find
the original IV used to encrypt the file somewhere in the encrypted file
itself? How does it know this?

Thanks!
Randy