Hi,
that is a recurent question, I know. But I'd like to have a "official" opinion.

The story of the 0.9.2342 arc shows that it rely upon a big mistake during the
writing of the RFC 1274.
In fact 234219200300 is the X25 address of a node in the University College in
London.
Why not after all ?
But, the story also said that the 0.9.2342 arc was never really intronized (*)
as a part of the ITU-T main arc (0.)!

Nevertheless one of its OID, 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.1, is used worldwide and
many RFC talk about it. In RFC1274, section 9.3.1 it is defined as the computer
login name of a user in the project pilot COSINE for a X500 schema for the
Internet back in 1991.
Historically, these OIDs were created pratically as an example.

But today, see RFC 2798 and RFC3383, it is mapped onto an attribute of the
inetOrgPerson object in X500 dictionaries called userId and its official
identity is UID!
It also seems to be registered at IANA.

First question : consequently, are we allowed to use it ?

Second question. Why is it interpreted as UserId (or UID in some versions) by
openSSL and not systematically UID ?

Thank you,

--
db

(*) In RFC2798 it's written, for the .1.60 member of the family:
  "Note: The jpegPhoto attribute type was defined for use in the
    Internet X.500 pilots but no referencable definition for it
    could be located."