Hello,
> I have a SSL server that uses Openssl 9.7e. It works fine initially
> but few hundred connections,  lots of SSL hanshake
> failure occurs. The failure reason given is SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL. After
> that I try to retrieve the more error details from the stack using
> ERR_error_string_n or ERR_print_errors_fp (sort of wrapper of
> ERR_error_string_n) but bott of these give no error information..
There may be many causes and hard to say why this happen
without debugging process.
First I suggest some "generic" checks:
- when SSL_accept() has error print errno value
  (may be set or no - it is worth a try)
- check for memory leaks (from simple "ps -efl"
  to valgrind for example
- check if you have "ERR_remove_state(0)" at end of your
  thread function (memory leak)
- check for file descriptor leaks (with "lsof")
- check what syscall gives you error with "strace"
  (hard way)
- check for too small system parameters, some systems
  may use kernel messages to inform you about that,
  check this with "dmesg"
- check for not properly disconnected tcp circuits
  with something like "netstat -an | grep -i time | wc -l"
- check if you have thread callbacks allocated/initialized
Hope this helps.

Best regards,
--
Marek Marcola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>