> Actually, this page says:

> "A descriptor shall be considered ready for reading when a
> call to an input function with O_NONBLOCK clear would not
> block, whether or not the function would transfer data
> successfully."

Right, that is a hypothetical concurrent read.

> Is that not to say that if select() says it's ready to read,
> I'm guaranteed my next read() won't block?

Nope. To say that, it would have to say "will not block". Instead it says
"would not block". This refers to a hypothetical concurrent call not
blocking at some instant in-between when you called 'select' and when it
returned.

For example, if you call 'stat' and get the size of a file, that size is the
size at some instant in-between when you called 'stat' and when it returned.
This is the same for all status-reporting functions.

> I notice the 'would not block' instead of 'will not block'.
> That makes me uneasy.

Exactly. It is not referring to any actual call.

DS