Gunivortus Goos wrote:
Hello Thomas,

You could try building a 64-bit target using Visual C++ 2008
Express (free) and NASM (also free).

???
I'm sorry, I never did any programming, never any compiling,
I'm just an enduser, using payware, shareware and freeware
programs, that are already prepared for use. ;-)

I subscribed to list, because I thought, I could use
openssl to make my ftp sessions more secure and in the list
I could ask where a 64 bit version was available ann maybe
some help using it.
My ftp client 'told' me: if I would install openssl, the program
would recognize it und use it.

I thought, I could get and use openssl as I got and use
OpenOffice; complete ready-to-use. Obviously, that is not the
case with openssl.
If that is true, I've to search for a commercial alternative,
I'm afraid.

I don't have a 64-bit build available, but you could try the official Win32 binary build:

http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

That is the only recognized binary build of OpenSSL (wrapped up in an installer - and is very popular). It should, in theory, work just fine under 64-bit Vista assuming the FTP client is also running as a 32-bit program. 32-bit programs run under an emulation mode on 64-bit hardware but, as someone already pointed out, OpenSSL apparently runs faster in that emulation mode. Since it might work, you might as well give it a try. You just seemed very specific about the 64-bit part.

If you absolutely have to have a 64-bit build (i.e. 32-bit doesn't work), wait a few weeks. I'm planning on purchasing and installing Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2008 out of my own pocket (since almost no one donates). One of the first things I plan on doing is creating a 64-bit binary build of OpenSSL. Don't know what I'll do about the 'Win32' part of the name.

--
Thomas Hruska
Shining Light Productions

Home of BMP2AVI, Nuclear Vision, ProtoNova, and Win32 OpenSSL.
http://www.slproweb.com/