I would characterize the Certicom patents as falling into 3 main
categories:

1)       patents relating to the use of ECC in very specific application
circumstances

This represents the bulk of Certicom patents. For these patents you will
have to do your own research as they are dependent on you application
and have nothing to do with OpenSSL.

2)       patents that improve the performance of the underlying
mathematics

For these patents, it would be difficult to say if the developers who
implemented the underlying math algorithms happened to implement a
patented Certicom technique.  However, unless they were actually using
the patent docs during implementation, I doubt that this would be the
case.

3)       patents on ECC techniques

Now these are the ones you can find in the implementation of OpenSSL.
There are two main ones here - point compression and MQV.  Point
compression reduces the size of an ECC public key, but ECC keys are much
smaller than RSA keys even without it, so this one can be avoided.  MQV
is a key exchange technique.  It also can be avoided by using ECDH.

NSA licensed 26 Certicom patents (which includes MQV and point
compression) for use in government applications with prime modulus
curves greater than 255.  This is a good Q&A on the details of this
license
http://www.certicom.ca/download/aid-501/FAQ-The%20NSA%20ECC%20License%20
Agreement.pdf  NSA did not license all of Certicom's patents, only a
subset for use in a limited "field of use".

Bill