Hello,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 06/17/2008 02:11:14 PM:

> Yup, that solves it.
>
> Another matter that's been troubling me is the output that I get when I
run the s_server
> program with the debug option. At the end of the handshake, when the
server sends the
> Finished Packet to the client, the following packet dump is obtained.
>
> write to 099EB570 [099FADC0] (53 bytes => 53 (0x35))
> 0000 - 16 03 01 00 30 b8 bd 82-61 05 3c 59 0e 0e cc 0b
> 0010 - 57 88 ad f2  93 1e 5a 1f -9f  d1 82 3a 10 e2 4b d3
> 0020 - 00 f4  91 7d  f1 10 a2 1d-d4 e6 ef  2a c6 be 1e b5
> 0030 - 16 fd  f6  09 71
>
> Byte 0x00 -> 0x16 is indicative of the Handshake protocol in progress.
> Byte 0x01 and 0x02 -> SSL v.3.1
> Byte 0x03 and 0x04 -> Length of message that follows, 48 bytes + the 5
before it, totals
> to the 53 bytes shown at the very beginning.
> Byte 0x05 -> This is where the trouble begins. It shows 0xb8 which does
not correspond
> to any standard message type. It should, in my opinion show, 0x14 which
is the message
> type for the Finished packet. I ran the same program a few times I keep
getting what
> appears to me as random bytes each time. When I run the s_server program
with both the
> msg and debug options, the output from the msg tallies with my
observation above. I was
> not sure if the actual packet contents that were being sent as both the
msg and debug
> option seemed to contradict each other.
>
> I then wrote a sniffer to check the actual packet contents and they
corresponded to
> those received from debug mode which now leads to me believe this ->
That, in the
> "Finish" packet, the message type, message length and the handshake
message are all
> encrypted. Am I right in thinking so? In which case, I wonder, if the
client were to
> receive such a packet, which coincedentally were to have its Byte 0x05
as some standard
> message type, will it not proceed to treat that packet correspondingly
instead of
> treating it as a Finished packet? Taking this even further, the whole
idea of having 20
> as a standard message type for a finished packet would be useless.
>
> I realise that the above is a pretty lengthy description of the problem
that I am facing
> and will be more than happy to elaborate on any part of it that is
ambigous. I am
> obviously wrong somewhere and it would be great if someone can point
where exactly.
Finished packet is the first packet with encrypted contents.
If you look at packets dump, you will see ChangeCipherSpec packet Finished
packet.
All packet after ChangeCipherSpec should use encryption, this is something
like switch witch turn on encryption.
So, Finished packet should be decrypted before analysed.

Best regards,
--
Marek Marcola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>