[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 07/16/2008 10:08:31 AM:

> 2) using static builds has a benefit: you know exactly what your
> application is going to get SSL-wise: you will be sure it is installed
> on the target system because you brought it along. The drawback is
> that you have to provide your own update path to track security fixes
> -- that is compared to an OS/platform where others do the tracking and
> updating for you (e.g. active Linux distros  with dynamic libraries).

Is this really a drawback?  Since OpenSSL updates break backward
compatibility, there a problem as well with dynamic libraries.
Someone installs an update, possibly automated, possibly the install
of another program, and suddenly you application fails in strange
ways.

[... my quixotic plea for NEVER breaking backward compatibilty]