We are designing a new embedded system which runs its own web server.

When installed in the field, the majority of the units will *not* have a
domain-name, just a local IP address, since they will be mostly be used on
company intranets (and so could be *any* ip address I guess).

Most units will not have static IP addresses, but will rely on zeroconf or dhcp
for address allocation.

I guess some companies may wish to expose units to the internet and probably
will have some form of domain name setup for each one (e.g. unit1.foobar.com,
unit2.foobar.com, etc)

So my question is this ...

Can SSL + Certs be used / generated to work on such a dynamic type of network
setup ?

TBH, all we are requiring is to obtain a "secure" connection to the web server,
rather than certifying that the embedded units are who they say they are.  Is there some
other way of doing this (either via SSL or some other web technology) ?

I apologise if this is too open a question, but I've not managed to find a
suitable Google search phrase that comes anywhere near to answering my
question(s).

Thank in advance
Mark