Kyle Hamilton wrote:
X.509 refers to the certificate version.  0 == version 1, 1 == version
2, 2 == version 3.

Version 1 certificates have no means for any extensions.
Version 2 certificates are CRLs.
CRLs use the asn1 type Version. CRLs with extensions have  Version 2,
but this has nothing to do with certificates.

Version 2 may be used for certificates that have  unique identifiers  but no
extensions. Since nobody seems really to use this, and there is no
support in Openssl, and one still may indicate version 3 ...

To be complete, these Version values also have nothing to do with
the version number of the X509 standard.
Version 3 certificates are the current norm, and most likely what you want.
'Current norm' means what?
I'd say: Since you most likely add extensions, then version 3 is what you set. I seems unlikely to me that a future version of X509 will change the verision
number  of a certficate. This would be necessary if add
some asn1 field after the extensions instead of defining an extension.

IMO, a call to

X509_set_version

should not be necessary. openssl could ensure to set a good value depending
on whether you have extensions of not unless the version has been set to
explicitely.
The best reference currently is RFC5280, and all of its references.

-Kyle H