Hi Michael,
unfortunately, you're wrong. You need my patches to perform renegotiations at all, since the current implementation is broken in this respect. Technically, the abbreviated handshake is supported, but OpenSSL does not provide any API to initiate it without reconnecting. The functions for session handling can be used to save a session and reassign it before connecting to perform an abbreviated handshake. This has no effect on an established connections because your saving and overwriting the session with the same data without any further action. I already criticized this in a mail to the list but there were no answers beside the explanation how to use the session functions when reconnecting.

Regards,
Robin