There is currently no automated protocol for doing this.  There is
currently an effort at PKIX for a "Trust Anchor Management Protocol",
though, which would allow for tools to be made cross-platform.

Also, self-signed CAs are basically never checked for expiration.
(The 'trust anchor' is technically the public key, not the identity
information strongly bound to the public key in the certificate.)

-Kyle H