On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 12:44 AM, Rafel Coyle <rafel.co...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Yes,
>
> I want and must base64 encode the data.  Have you seen any examples of doing
> this with the binary results from encrypting.

See, for example, the code of the enc / dec OpenSSL utilities;
sourcecode in apps/enc.c

Basically, base64 encoding/decoding is done there by adding a base64
encoding/decoding BIO filter to the BIO stack.

The encrypting / decrypting is done through the use of another BIO
filter in that chain. You may want to read up on how to use BIOs
before you start hacking ;-)

Regarding BIOs: those can be used to process file-, memory-, etc.
data. Several examples of their use can be found in the apps/ and
demo/ OpenSSL directories (some a little rougher than others). For an
example of base64 enc/dec without the crypto, see
http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-users@openssl.org/msg55632.html

Ger Hobbelt