Hi Srinivas,

Why is this an issue? Is it for an application?

From a library point of view, the version installed on the system should make no difference unless you are using deprecated (old) or brand new routines in the library. This should not be an issue, especially as you are talking about point revisions. If you are using dynamic libraries, the entry points for the old product should be the same in version i, j k as in version a. There may be possible exceptions like the 'des' entry points (ouch!). If you are using statically linked libraries then this should not be an issue at all.

Have you tried the old application on a system with just openssl 0.9.8i installed? If so, then what errors do you get? Post them to the list and see what solutions are proposed.

If you really do need two separate versions of openSSL on the same machine, then you can install them and name them differently as Kyle has suggested. Say you had:
      /opt/openssl.0.9.8b
and
     /opt/openssl.0.9.8i
(and you could just as easily have these in /usr/local as in /opt)
You would just manipulate your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately for each application.

If this failed, in a unix environment you could set up two chroot'd environments for each application to run in. In each chroot'd environment the correct version of openssl for each application could be installed.

I hope these ideas help,

Jeremy

Srinivas Jonnalagadda wrote:
[safeTgram (safetgram-in) receive status: NOT encrypted, NOT signed.]

Hi Kyle,

Thank you very much for information. I dont have any problem upgrading to
0.9.8k. The problem for us is we have separate product which is dependent on
openssl. There are 2 versions of this product installed on 2 different unix
machines. One version is dependent on 0.9.8b and other is dependent on 0.9.8i.
Now we are trying to migrate the version which is dependent on 0.9.8b to the
machine which is dependent on 0.9.8i. Confusing and really tricky task for me
but my bosses instructions the original configurations or installation
structures should not be disturbed. Now if i solev this openssl problem the
next is that i have 2 different versions of apache http servers.

Regards,
Srinivas J