DTLS has always been one of the "red-headed stepchildren" of OpenSSL.
It has never received the love that the rest of the codebase has, and
it needs a real maintainer.

I agree, s_client and s_server are "reference apps".  On the -users
list, we even recommend that people use them when they're trying to
diagnose problems with their server or client code, respectively.
That said, I'm not surprised to hear of bugs related to DTLS in it.
(I'm not surprised to hear of bugs related to DTLS in general.)

I'd recommend that you re-send your initial message to r...@openssl.org,
as it is a genuine bug that should be submitted to the request
tracker.

-Kyle H