On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:11:48PM +0200, Akos Vandra wrote:

> > The parties involved here are not connected to the internet, and thus
> > don't have any access to a  (this is an embedded project), and they
> > must confirm eachother's identity based on the CA-signed certificates.

Well, my address is not my identity. "Identities" are just primary
keys. It seems that you don't want identity certificates, but
for some reason need attribute certificates with lots of attributes.

Is the subject the holder of a corresponding private key in this context,
or this just a signed message binding the subject to a set of attributes?

If the subject participates in a protocol in which the certificate
authenticates its private key, generally a unique identifier for
each subject is sufficient to support per-subject ACLs, ...

If this is something akin to a signed "passport", the object in question
is a signed message, not a certificate.

Subject attributes are encoded in the subject DN. You can specify
custom OIDs, if the standard OIDs are not sufficient.

http://openssl.org/docs/apps/req.html#DISTINGUISHED_NAME_AND_ATTRIBUTE

--
        Viktor.