I tried

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ssl/fips
and
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ssl/fips/bin
and
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ssl/fips-1.0

and all three failed to avert the assertion failure. How can I be
assured that the FIPS library is being run? Self-tests seem to run and
pass when I call this function with enable set to true. I get the
response of FIPS mode enabled and FIPS_mode=1.

void enable_fips(int enable)
{
#ifdef OPENSSL_FIPS
   printf("Please standby while FIPS self-tests are in progress\n");

   if(FIPS_mode_set(enable))
   {
      printf("FIPS mode enabled\n");
   }
   else
   {
      printf("FIPS mode failed to enable\n");
      ERR_load_crypto_strings();
      ERR_print_errors_fp(stderr);
      exit(1);
   }

   printf("FIPS mode=%d\n", FIPS_mode());
#else
   printf("FIPS mode disabled\n");
#endif
}

Here is my build script which completely removes and rebuilds the
openssl libraries. What am I doing wrong that is preventing it from
creating the shared library as it should be? ldd/bin/ls does not show
the openssl.so shared file.
#! /bin/sh
cd /usr/src
# Remove current directories