David Schwartz wrote:
> You're really not doing a good job of stating your requirements. But, again,
> it sounds like SSL does exactly what you want.
>

> You are not using a valuable resource though as we've gone several emails
> now and you're still telling us about new requirements that totally change
> the picture.

Sorry for being vague. And thanks for the pointers so far :)

I'll try to be more clear now. My requirement is this:

I have a file on my server which needs to reach several client machines
safely and to remain encrypted there. My s/w on those machines should be
able to decrypt the file and use the contents of the file, but it
shouldn't be easy to anyone else to decrypt the file or generate similar
encrypted files which fool my app on the client machines. I understand
that I need to use SSL/TLS sessions to send the file over. I can even
use off the shelf HTTP/IMAP/SMTP etc with SSL/TLS for that.

Now the remaining part is, how do I encrypt a file on my machine, so
that only the client machines with the right key can decrypt them? I
could keep the public key with me and have the private key on the client
machines. But I don't know of a way to have only the private key alone,
as openssl also allows extracting the public key from the private key.
More over, I'd be giving away the private key away while keeping the
public key for myself, which is ridiculous. Any ideas?

cheers,
skar.

The life so short, the craft so long to learn.