On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 01:54:57PM -0700, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> OpenSSL uses the operating system to get entropy.  If AMD wants Linux
> to support its on-chip random number generator, it needs to write a
> driver that replaces /dev/random and /dev/urandom.

...or feeds into them.

Sufficient but not necessary.  If AMD have released spec.s in a
manner compatible with the kernel license and development model then
someone else could write that driver.  Some would say that is the
preferred method.

> In addition, Intel has been playing nice and getting its code in the
> openssl distribution, as a set of patches that were integrated not too
> long ago.  Nobody has submitted such a patch for the Geode to my
> knowledge (I'm not god of the request tracker, but most mails sent to
> r...@openssl.org
>   are forwarded to the -dev list; I've not seen any patches come in).
> (i.e.: Intel is doing strategic positioning that AMD is not.)

That's smart of Intel.  But again, if AMD have released spec.s under
liberal terms then maybe they think they *are* positioning their
product, and nobody has picked up on it yet.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.