________________________________

        From: Chris Copeland

        I am building and packaging the following on one machine (the
"build"
        machine) and attempting to install and use on other machines
("target"
        machines) some of which have different processors.

        * OpenSSL 0.9.8l
        * Apache 2.2.14
        * Tomcat Connectors 1.2.28

        The problem, as far as I can tell, is that the build machine has
more
        CPU capabilities than the target machine resulting in binaries
that
        are not executable on the target machine.  I have attempted to
use
        configure and compiler flags to disable use of the offending
        instructions without luck.

        Ultimately I get this error:

        $ ./apachectl start httpd: Syntax error on line 58 of
        /usr/local/apache-2.2.14/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load
        /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so into server: ld.so.1:
httpd:
        fatal: /usr/local/openssl/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8: hardware
capability
        unsupported: 0x1000 [ SSE2 ]

According to the message, your problem is that mod_ssl.so requires SSE2.
You'd be best to ask the community responsible for that library how to
build a version of it which doesn't require SSE2. I don't know for sure,
but I think I recall mention that it's part of Apache.

On the surface your OpenSSL build looks fit for purpose.