Hi all!

I miss something around the Re-negotiation flaw and fail to
understand why it is a flaw in TLS. I hope I miss just a small
piece. Could anyone please enlight me?

* Kyle Hamilton wrote on Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 16:22 -0800:
> It is also, though, undeniably a flaw in the TLS specification
> that's amplified by the clients of the libraries that implement
> it -- because the clients don't understand the concept of
> "security veil", the TLS implementations tend to provide a raw
> stream of bytes (akin to a read()/write() pair) without the
> application necessarily being aware of the change.

Could it be considered that a miss-assumption about SSL/TLS
capabilities caused this situation?

I think since TLS should be considered a layer, its payload
should not make any assumptions to it (or vice versa). But in the
moment some application `looks to the TLS state' and tries to
associate this information to some data in some buffer, I think
it makes a mistake.

When using HTTP over IPSec, I think no one ever had the idea to
open or block URLs based on the currently used IPSec
certificate...

Am I wrong when I think that those level-mixing causes the
trouble? If a user (by browsers default configuration) first
accepts some sillyCA or www.malicious.com but then later does not
accept it any longer and expects the trust that initially was
given to be taken back in retroperspective and finds this failing
and unsafe (impossible), is this really a TLS weakness?

It seems it is, so what do I miss / where is my mistake in
thinking?

I also wondered a lot about the Extended Validation attack from
last year; I had assumed that in `EV mode' a browsers tab is
completely isolated against all others and second no other
connectivity is possible as with the locked EV parameters, but as
it turned out this is not the case. Everything can change but the
green indicator remains. Strange...

Now I ask myself what happens if I connect via HTTPS and read the
crypto information as displayed by my browser and decide to
accept it - but after a renegiotation different algorithms are
used. As far as I understand, I would get absolutely no notice
about that. I could find myself suddenly using a 40 bit export
grade or even a NULL chipher to a different peer (key) without
any notice! If I understand correctly, even if I re-verify the
contents of the browsers security information pane right before
pressing a SUBMIT button, even then the data could be transferred
with different parameters if a re-negotiation happens at the
`right' time!

If this would be true, this means the information firefox shows
up when clicking the lock icon does not tell anything about the
data I will sent; at most it can tell about the past, how the
page was loaded, but not reliable, because maybe it changed for
the last part of the page.

Where is my mistaking in thinking?

oki,

Steffen

--

--[end of message]------------------------------------------------->8=======

About Ingenico: Ingenico is a leading provider of payment solutions, with over
15 million terminals deployed in more than 125 countries. Its 2,850 employees
worldwide support retailers, banks and service providers to optimize and secure
their electronic payments solutions, develop their offer of services and
increase their point of sales revenue. More information on
http://www.ingenico.com/.
 This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must
not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for
your cooperation.