Greetings, I'm trying to develop a simple SSL module for a web server.

I don't have much experience with cryptography and OpenSSL, so I am bit
confused about various combinations of cipher suits when performing key
exchange and authentication.

1. I assume RSA key exchange and authentication is the most widely used
combination. I am I correct to assume that ephemeral RSA and Server
Gated Cryptography are not deployed anymore, due to relaxation of the
US export regulations? And nobody is using 512-bit keys.

2. If Diffie-Hellman key agreement and DSS authentication is used,
ephemeral DH keys must be used. Do I need to do anything special in
this case (i.e. loading parameters) or can OpenSSL handle all of this
automatically?

3. What about Diffie-Hellman key agreement and RSA authentication. Is
this normally handled with ephemeral keys? Is there any advantage of
Diffie-Hellman over RSA key exchange?

4. Does anyone actually deploy Diffie-Hellman key agreement and DSS
authentication these days? I would think that the majority people would
use RSA (better performance). Is DSS simply for old software
compatibility??

Thanks.