Rusty Carruth wrote:

> I would have thought that OPENssl, for which I have the source, would
> have met the requirements to use the _GPL symbols in the kernel.

The requirement is that the module claim that it is available under the GPL
by containing a specific license declaration. You can fix this two ways:

1) Modify the Linux kernel so that this requirement is removed. The GPL
explicitly give you the right to do this if you wish to.

2) Modify your module so that it claims it is available under the GPL even
though it is not. The functional exception to copyright gives you the right
to do this.

Note that making sure you do not violate copyright law is your
responsibility. While you are permitted to bypass technical restrictions
(GPLv2 grants you that right), if you choose do so, it is still entirely
your responsibility to comply with the license. Specifically, GPLv2 does not
permit you to create a derivative work and distribute that entire work under
any terms not compatible with the GPLv2. Since you cannot make OpenSSL
available under compatible terms, you must not distribute a work that is
derivative both of OpenSSL and the Linux kernel. (If you are unclear on what
this means, I'd strongly urge you to consult a lawyer.)

DS