Chuck Pareto wrote:

> if my public key is 256 bytes long, what is the max length
> of the string I can use to encrypt? Is it 256?

If the output is exactly 256 bytes, there are (in theory) 2^(256*8) possible
outputs. That means there can be at most 2^(256*8) possible inputs.  There
are more than 2^(256*8) possible input strings of 256 bytes or less (since
there are that many strings just of exactly 256 bytes). So there's no way it
can possibly take all input strings of 256 bytes or less.

In any event, unless you know exactly what you are doing, you should not be
using PK algorithms directly. There are *way* too many gotchas. Use a system
that includes the PK algorithm you.

DS