Dave,

    Thank you for the clarification on HTTP keep-alives.

    I have just now fixed the bug.  The source of the problem was an
SSL_read call on the client half of the proxy.  This was triggering an error
SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL with a ret of zero.  According to the documentation this
is normally caused by an improperly shutdown SSL connection, however
rescheduling the read for when the socket was ready (using a select
statement) fixed this issue.  I have tested it up to a 5MB file, and it
works perfectly.

    I am a little confused on why I was getting the error in the first place
still though.  What would cause SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL to be flagged, and have an
empty error queue if the socket was not closed improperly on the other side?