Right; the common API SSL_{accept,connect,read,etc} dispatches
to protocol-specific routines determined (only?) by the 'method'
you used to create your SSL*, and those often dispatch further.
Mostly these are ssl2_* for SSL2, ssl3_* for SSL3, ssl23_* for
composite, tls1_* for TLS1, dtls1_* for DTLS1, but I think
I've seen some exceptions here and there.

> From here the only mention I could find of an ssl3_accept
> is in s3_srvr.c which to my understanding is not part of
> the library, and is part of an example program.

Everything in SOURCE/ssl is part of libssl except ssltest.
The pure examples are in SOURCE/demos, and the commandline
utilities which can also be examples are in SOURCE/apps.
(And nearly all of SOURCE/crypto/* -- 2 levels -- is libcrypto.)