I am trying to create a .p12 file with pkcs12.

I created the private key:

#openssl genrsa -out user.key -des3

I also create a certificate signing request (openssl req ..) and a
certificate  (openssl ca.)

I want to store the user key (and optionally the user certificate) in a .p12
file that can be imported Microsoft IIS.

#openssl pkcs12 -export -inkey user.key -certfile user.cer -out user.pfx
-name "my key"

Or

#openssl pkcs12 -export -inkey user.key -out user.pfx  -name "my key"

In either case, I get prompted for the pass phase for the key, then the
process just hangs.  This is with OpenSSL 1.0.0 on Solaris 10 and OpenSSL
0.9.8l under cygwin.

I am pretty sure I have do this in the past and not sure what I am doing
wrong.

Thanks for you help.