Dave may be right about there being no direct evidence for a read.

However I have since looked at the code the error is coming from and the error is being
reported at the time the SSL context is being interpreted, which doesn't mean the initial
erroneously without a complaint. If that is true and the error occurs at context parse
time, then any conjecture we make about the actual cause of the error is purely
conjecture. I apologize to "irivas" for jumping to conclusions initially and
suggested offline to him that he get more information from tools like snoop/tcpdump and
truss/strace that may or may not be available in openvms.

The relevant information I gave to Irivas is this:
The error he was getting comes from ssl/s3_clnt.c in the
ssl3_get_server_certificate() function.  When this function parses a message
buffer it decides is a certificate chain and cannot decode the DER format of
one of the certificate elements in the chain via the function d2i_X509(), then
it emits the error Irivas sees.
If you look at http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/d2i_X509.html you will see
that it says that the reverse function i2d_X509() has bad error handling in
some versions of openssl and can result in the creation of a bad structure for
d2i_X509() to process later. By way of explanation openssl loads stuff into
buffers first and processes it later.

One last thing I hope the metadata of the openvms file structure doesn't get in
the way of flat text processing. If a file is a different format to flat text,
then you process it differently. The Windows/Unix text file nonsense is purely
a disagreement about the end of line token and nothing to do with the file
structure.