In message <54015.92296...@web121406.mail.ne1.yahoo.com> on Tue, 21 Dec 2010
22:53:07 -0800 (PST), S Mathias <smathias1...@yahoo.com> said:

smathias1972> http://help.godaddy.com/article/1054
smathias1972>
smathias1972> "# Set up SSL protection on your website."
smathias1972>
smathias1972> is it an inescapable requirement to have a dedicated
smathias1972> [not fix] ip address, when i want to use ssl on my
smathias1972> domain?

Idealy, there's no need to have a dedicated IP address.  As Mike
mentioned, it's possible to have a wildcard certificate.  The other
alternative is a multivalued subjectAltName, but most cert vendors do
not support that as far as I'm informed.

(if you want to see what a server cert with multivalued subjectAltName
looks like, do the following:

echo Q | openssl s_client -connect www.keyex.se:443 -showcerts | openssl x509
-text
)

Of course, you could try to talk with your cert vendor and see if they
could support a subjectAltName of that type.  I do have some doubts,
as I'd guess it comes with a price, but it may be worth trying.

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte                         rich...@levitte.org