From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org
[mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org] On Behalf Of Dr. Stephen Henson
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 6:09 AM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: FIPS 1.2.2 build for Windows Vista

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011, Collins, Jerry wrote:

> Hello,
>   My company recently decided to upgrade to the latest FIPS release
> 1.2.2.  I've read the Security and User Manual.  According to them,
the
> only command we can give is ms\do_fips no-asm.

Well for Vista you'd be better with ms\do_fips or you'll get reduced
performance: you just need to install the free nasm assembler.

> While this runs, I see several problems.
>   1) The build now builds dlls.  In the past we did not use DLLs and
> would prefer not to change at this point.
>   2) The build process doesn't build the libeayfips32.lib or the
> libeaycompat32.lib.  As far as I can tell, these are still required.
>
> I've taken a look at the scripts and can see references to the
libraries
> in the VC-32.pl script.  Unfortunately, I've no real experience with
> perl and can't follow the flow to see if this script is being called,
> and if so, with the proper parameters.  I can't even tell how perl
> handles parameters.
>
> I'm building on a Windows Vista (32 bit) system, using Visual Studio
> 2008 and the Window 7 SDK.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The standard procedure is to build and install the validated module in
accordance with the security policy.

The use the latest version of OpenSSL 0.9.8 to build an FIPS capable
version
of OpenSSL. That can build DLLs or static libraries.

Steve.