This was mentioned briefly in another thread by myself. I thought it
deserved its own discussion. The copies of how it went on are pasted below.

Section 6.3.3. of RFC 5280 - CRL Processing
"This algorithm begins by assuming that the certificate is not revoked....
For each distribution point (DP) in the certificate's CRL distribution
points extension, for each corresponding CRL ...."

So my expectation is that after I instruct OpenSSL to perform CRL
checking -- whether I set or not set any CRLs -- no checking must be
done on any certificates which don't have CRLDP in them.

The spec ofcourse mentions that implementations are not required to
follow this algorithm, however, it also mentions that the end result
must be the same as when they did.

Now as an average user of OpenSSL API, I expect not to have to write any
piece of code (such as over-ruling the validation failure in validation
callback) for the normal process of certificate/CRL validation to take
its course. Is this a reasonable expectation?

thanks
Jeff

********* Original Problem Statement  ************
Re: Need Help with Programmatic Downloading+Checking of CRLs