The size of both private (x) and public (y) values in DH
is the same as the size of the prime P or very nearly.
If the parameters were generated with openssl commandline
'dhparam' the default size of P was 512 bits, which is
probably not secure. (I know factoring thus RSA up to
700-something is broken; I haven't heard of results for
discrete-log thus DH and DSA, but on my limited knowledge
of number theory I think it should be about the same.)

(Good) asymmetric algorithms need more bits for comparable
security than (good) symmetric ones. Experts do not agree
on an exact correspondence, but in (very) rough terms
elliptic-curve algs are about 2x symmetric, and traditional
asymmetric (RSA, DH, DSA, etc) are in the vicinity of 20x.

NIST Special Publication 800-57 available under csrc.nist.gov
seems to be a good reflection of reasonably current thinking.
There is or at least was a few years ago an independent site
with the consensus of leading academic crypto researchers,
but I can't find it now.

(If you don't know it, NIST = National Institute for Science
and Technology is a part of the US government Department of
Commerce; it was formerly NBS National Bureau of Standards.)