IMHO openssl is unsuitable for this purpose.  Openssl is really good
at what it does, don't get me wrong, but using it in a boot loader
probably isn't the easiest/smartest idea.  What you really want is a
subset of PKCS#1 - that is, EMSA-PSS encoding and verification plus
RSASP1/RSAVP1.  I'm working on some code which happens to implement
exactly this feature set using GMP, and it could trivially be ported
to some smaller bigint library.  I release all my code under GPL3+,
and you're welcome to use it as such - but it sounds like you're
working on some tivoized system, which is incompatible with GPL3.

Mike