I have found that fork() on modern machines as a negligible affect on performance and in fact I almost always use inetd instead of writing my own servers, mainly because it is dead reliable, easier to code, and again seems to have negligible affect on performance. One would have to do millions upon millions of connects to notice or care. Having said that, I use AIX mostly, and that performs better under load than Linux on Intel, and even Linux on the IBM p series platform. I would do it cheap and easy and worry about performance after-the-fact. Eric

At 04:46 PM 5/10/2011, you wrote:

On 10 May 2011, at 4:13 PM, David Schwartz wrote:
> On 5/10/2011 2:10 AM, John Hollingum wrote:
>> Pretty much immediately after the accept the program forks a handler,
>> but the rogue clients must be glomming onto the main process before the
>> SSL negotiation is complete.
>
> Calling 'fork' with an accepted SSL connection has all kinds of known issues. The fundamental problem is that there are many operations that must occur both before and after the 'fork', for different reasons, and obviously can't do both.

You could accept just the TCP connection in the main process and do all of the SSL handshake in the forked process (I think IO::Socket::SSL->start_SSL() is what you want for that) --- this would not be a high-performance approach (no SSL session cache, fork overhead) but if it's fast enough it's fast enough.

It's possible to use openssl in a non-blocking, event-driven manner but I don't think Perl's SSL modules expose enough of the openssl API to do that.

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Pictures of Snake in Spring

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=115547&id=1409661701&l=1c375e1f49

Pictures of Camp Verde

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12771&id=1409661701&l=fc0e0a2bcf

Pictures of Land Cruiser in Sedona

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50953&id=1409661701

Pictures of Flagstaff area near our cabin

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12750&id=1409661701

Pictures of Cheryl in a Horse Show

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32484&id=1409661701

Pictures of the AZ Desert

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=58827&id=1409661701

(You can see why we love this state :-) )