On Tue, May 24, 2011, ciphertexto wrote:

> On May 24, 2011, at 4:18 AM, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
> >
> > It can take a long time to execute sometimes as it performs two slow DH
> > parameter generation operations. Retry it a few times. If it still doesn't
> > complete try:
> >
> > OPENSSL_FIPS=1 util/shlib_wrap.sh apps/openssl version -a
> >
> > Note that the utilities in the 1.2.3 build come from an ancient version of
> > OpenSSL 0.9.8 and to get a usable library you must build an FIPS capable
> > OpenSSL using the 1.2.3 fipscanister.o and a recent 0.9.8 version.
>

> fips_test_suite hangs (stayed there for more than 24 hours).  So I tried
> shlib_wrap.sh as you suggest and I got a core dump from openssl.
>
> I am testing with a FIPS-capable OpenSSL using the 1.2.3 fipscanister.o with
> 0.9.8r (the most recent version).
>
> $ apps/openssl version
> OpenSSL 0.9.8r-fips 8 Feb 2011
>
> $ OPENSSL_FIPS=1 util/shlib_wrap.sh apps/openssl version -a
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> $ otool -c /cores/core.97244 | head -4
> /cores/core.97244:
> Argument strings on the stack at: 00007fff5fc00000
>
> /Users/foo/svn/mac_crypto_64/Crypto/OSX/build_openssl_fips_capable/openssl-0.9.8r/apps/openssl
>
> $ gdb apps/openssl /cores/core.97244
> GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1515) (Sat Jan 15 08:33:48 UTC
> 2011)
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for shared
> libraries .... done
>
> Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
> Reading symbols for shared libraries .... done
> #0  0x000000003f61ffff in ?? ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x000000003f61ffff in ?? ()
> Cannot access memory at address 0x3f61ffff
> #1  0x00000000092ff8bb in ?? ()
> (gdb) quit
>
> So does it look like the 64-bit version of the FIPS-capable OpenSSL on
> SnowLeopard is officially broken?

I don't have access to that platform so can't say for sure: it could
conceivably be a compiler bug.

Can you try a debug build of fipscanitsr using 0.9.8r?

NB: to anyone who reads this in future. THIS DOES NOT RESULT IN A VALIDATED
LIBRARY IT IS ONLY BEING DONE FOR TESTING PURPOSES!! I have to say that as some
messages get cut and pasted into cookbooks as "the right way to do things".

Something like:

./config -d fipscanisterbuild
make

Then try the version command again and see where it crashes and why.

Steve.