On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Kyle Hamilton <aerow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Gaglia <san...@paranoici.org> wrote:
>> On 07/15/2011 08:23 AM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Excuse me, I got lost somewhere... Does this mean that it is not
>> possible to use EC crypto with OpenSSL because the algorithms are
>> patented? If so, why OpenSSL does provide support to EC crypto?
>
> EC is considered to be a patent minefield.  Some people (RSA Data
> Security) say that it's possible to implement EC cryptography using
> different types of algorithms which are not covered by the patents.
Consider the source: RSA's strongest competition is ECC and Certicom
(or should we say ECC's past competition was RSA?). RSA Data Security
managed to implant RSA into DSA with heavy lobbying, but RSA's glory
days are behind them or gone. The SecurID scandal is another testament
to the fact.

I often wonder why open source implementations even care: (1) the
implementations are often available through out the world, where US
patent law does not apply, (2) for US domestic uses, push the burden
of licensing compliance onto the user (or #define out any code found
to be offense by *real* lawyers), and (3) most implementors don't have
the money to make it worthwhile to litigate.

For (3), Certicom most likely won't make a dime, so there's no
monetary relief or benefit even if they incur loss or damages. And at
best, they will probably be granted an injunction against US
distribution. Guess wheat folks will do in that case (what did they do
with RSA - download form Australia or Germany or ...).

Jeff