On Mon, Sep 19, 2011, alok sharma wrote:

> Hi Jacob,
>     Thanks for such a detailed reply. But I am having one concern that how
> an application can know whether it si secure or not. Fips uses
> GetSystemTimeAsFileTime() for PRNG test which is having granuality of 1 ns,
> but my application is running even at faster rate so same value is being
> generated for current as well as for last request. Is there any provision
> inside Openssl which ensures that unique randon numbers will be generated or
> application need to add some delay for each new connection request.
> Regards,

OpenSSL uses more than just GetSystemTimeAsFileTime it also makes use of a
counter value which is incremented on each use. This is all done under a lock
so the values should never repeat even if the time value does.

If you are getting continuous PRNG test failures then I suspect your locking
callbacks aren't functioning correctly and you are getting race conditions.

Steve.