Thanks Dr. Stephen an Mr. Willy Weisz, the comments clarifies the different matching options.

Still, bugged with the details that made OpenSSL complain about two strings apparently equal, I've sniffed out the certificates:

0.9.8
SET (1 elem)
SEQUENCE (2 elem)
OBJECT IDENTIFIER 2.5.4.10
PrintableString [ACME SA]

1.0.0
SET (1 elem)
SEQUENCE (2 elem)
OBJECT IDENTIFIER 2.5.4.10
UTF8String [ACME SA]

So now accented characters seems allowed, though I'm not the one that dare to use them :)

BR,
   Gabriel.