The passphrase is used to actually encrypt the private key.

The only way is to try lots and lots of passphrases until you find the right one.

If you remember some parts of the passphrase (like "It was one of my family members birthday written backwards followed by the word TeaPot with some combination of upper and lower case"), then the number of possibilities is limited to a few hundred or thousand possible passphrases, and you could create a small shell or perl script that tries them
all in less than a few days.

But if it was a good passphrase, and you really have no idea what it was, then there
is no realistic way to crack it.