I made some progress. The call to PKCS12_parse succeeded, but the pkey
returned was NULL. Please see below where I indicated how I created this
.p12 file. I wonder why the  PKCS12_parse command can't read its private
key. I keep suspecting on permissions, but they seem ok - this app is
running as cgi.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
  Dirce